Saturday, December 15, 2012

Tying Up Loose Ends

Nastya is arriving in less than four days and I owe you all a major update. I've had a bunch of answered prayers happen here, big and small, and I haven't yet shared them. I also want to take the opportunity to thank you all again for your donations and to attest to just how well God has provided for us. Perhaps a little good news is in order to help comfort our hurting hearts?

First of all, a big one: an update on Nastya's medical care. I was finally able to schedule an appointment with Childrens Hospital Los Angeles' Orthopedic Center. They are providing us with a consultation, x-rays and, assuming that Nastya's leg length discrepancy can be treated with a simple shoe lift, a free shoe modification (which they will turn around on-site for us in 24 hours). All of this is FREE of charge...yahoo!

The only catch is that the best available appointment was January 7th which is only a week before she leaves. I'd appreciate prayers that everything will work out and we will have enough time to have her adequately treated. I was hoping to get a second hospital on the hook...just in case...but wasn't able to make that happen, so I am trusting that we've done the best we could at this point.

I have another medicaI update. I asked my eye doctor if she would be able to see Nastya to which she replied "of course, bring her in!" Then, as we were talking about the program and the fact that I also have to get Nastya a dental visit while she's here, Dr. Patel busts out with "I have a brother who's a dentist!" She has since contacted him and given me his number if I need it. How cool is that?!

I already have my kids' dentist on the hook for the initial check up and x-rays, but just in case Nastya needs 14 cavaties filled (as some of the previous host families have experienced) it is nice to know that I have a couple of dentists to share the workload. (I'm going to do everything I can to get her taken care of here because if she is treated back home, it will be WITHOUT novocaine...ugh.)

Then there are all the donations that have poured in:


Aquarium tix! 
* I received the Aquarium of the Pacific tickets I requested...yay!

* A sweet friend has a connection who can get us into Disneyland!

* We've had the equivalent of three large trash bags of beautiful clothes donated.



A great start on clothes!

(
We just need a few pair of pants, a few more long sleeved shirts, and a couple of pair of shoes and she should be set.)

* Another dear friend gifted an Old Navy card to Nastya so we will be able to make a dent in that list!

* I found an inexpensive suitcase at Ross that fit the specs perfectly...it was the only one that size and it was the cheapest one there...just waiting for us!


The perfect suitcase


* We received a final check from another friend after our hosting fees were already paid so I splurged and bought her these:


Rollerblading was one of only three things she requested to do while here!









* And look what I found at the local thrift store on Wednesday for only $3...yahoo! (FYI - helmets cost almost as much as the blades so this was a steal!):


Practically brand new!
As you can see, we have been extremely blessed in our preparations. We very much appreciate those of you who have made physical donations to Nastya and for those of you who have been praying for us...it's working...keep it up!


In closing I want to share with you the words from one of my favorite hymns (taken from Psalm 23):

My Shepherd will supply my need:
Jehovah is His Name;
In pastures fresh He makes me feed,
Beside the living stream.
He brings my wandering spirit back
When I forsake His ways,
And leads me, for His mercy’s sake,
In paths of truth and grace.
When I walk through the shades of death
Thy presence is my stay;
One word of Thy supporting breath
Drives all my fears away.
Thy hand, in sight of all my foes,
Doth still my table spread;
My cup with blessings overflows,
Thine oil anoints my head.
The sure provisions of my God
Attend me all my days;
O may Thy house be my abode,
And all my work be praise.
There would I find a settled rest,
While others go and come;
No more a stranger, nor a guest,
But like a child at home.

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir has a beautiful version on their you tube channel if you're interested in hearing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment