Saturday, December 22, 2012

What to expect when you're expecting...from the Ukraine


One of the previous host parents likened hosting to the experience of having a new baby in the house. I have to admit I was skeptical that it would be that intense, but the description is pretty spot on. A beautiful, new little person comes abruptly on the scene. There are so many things to get to know about her; so many things that are unfamiliar. You forget to eat, your sleep schedule is off, and you wouldn't trade it for the world.
Yesterday (Friday) was another fabulous day, but I am exhausted. Highlights from yesterday include:

*Ornament decoration. (We are making foam ornaments and putting the names of all those who donated to make Nastya's trip possible on them. It's a work in progress but we got a lot done.) I'm pretty sure there is some glitter that is now a permanent part of my dining room carpet, but look at that face...worth it!


Making Foam Ornaments










 *Playtime at the park. She was loving the slides and it was just dry enough out that we got some good static hair experiences from the friction. She also started a game with us "my name is" and we would take turns filling in the blanks with english words. Who says learning can't be fun?



Static electricity!




*You've got mail! I can definitely say that she was not expecting this. As I handed her three letters with her name on them, she looked bewildered. But she did start tearing into them before we made it back home. She loved the stickers and is looking forward to meeting my sister's dog Baxter!
Her First Mail Haul
 


Checking the Mail
















*Trying rollerblading for the first time. Wow! She was falling all over the place. I learned the hard way that you don't stand directly behind someone who is blading for the first time and I have a huge bruise on my shin to show for it...doh! However she loved it and I had to eventually tell her that even though she wasn't tired (whatever) that I needed a break. I know she would have kept going until her legs literally gave out! She is tenacious and not afraid to keep trying, that's for sure.



All suited up and ready to roll

Rollerblading...and falling...a lot (I need some Icy Hot!)


*Crafts with Greg and the kids. After dinner, Nastya found some construction paper in our craft cupboard and looked very excited about it. She started cutting away and Greg asked if he could help.

Cool paper crafts with Greg and the kids


















 
This beautiful star (made by a beautiful star) 
is now hanging in our dining room








*Kids bunk up together. It was bound to happen. These three are as thick as thieves already and they wanted to sleep in the same bed. We compromised and let them sleep in the same room at least. They were so tired, they were out immediately. I know the feeling you crazy kids! And you'd better not wake me up at the crack of dawn again tomorrow (wishful thinking...)


Slumber party!

No comments:

Post a Comment